Monday 7 May 2012

We all know that 'stuff' is not important. That we shouldn't attach ourselves to stuff and that we certainly shouldn't be precious about it or covet other peoples stuff. I can't quite find the moral 'right' ground though when it comes to stuff. I have set up home quite a few times, and in 5 countries including setting up back in the UK on my return each time. It's not like moving house and putting all my 'stuff' in a removal van to find it all again in my new home. Each time I have moved, I have spent my time gradually re-accumulating all the things I left behind that are necessary and important. Things that make life easier and more comfortable like kettles, towels and garlic crushers. It's very frustrating knowing that I have a whole house in France full of useful 'stuff' like my dualit coffee machine, and yet here in England I have a single measure cafetiere! When I think of all the time and money I have spent buying all the bits and pieces that make a home, I shudder. The thing is, while I am in constant pursuit of everything I once had, other people are busy adding to their stuff with less basic stuff, more luxurious, better quality stuff. I am still on the basics! I am perpetually on the basics! However, how many people do you know, that have everything they think they need? How many people at any given time could say they haven't been on the look out for a new duvet, or that they were thinking of putting in a log burner or redecorating the bathroom which will mean a colour change and new towels and matching accessories etc. I might use something like a juicer or my wheelie box that I keep in the car, and a friend will say 'we need one of those'. We are all doing it, all buying stuff all the time and falling prey to advertisers and consumerism. Some stuff is just so useful though and so necessary. I'd love to know what other people think. I haven't even touched on the idea that we are judged on the stuff we own, but of course we are, all the time. Stuff is a real pain in the backside and yet we really need it!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about stuff - we moved to Dubai a year ago and have a lifetimes worth of carefully selected 'stuff' as well as treasured wedding presents all gathering dust in storage. Everything is so expensive here that it is taking me ages to accumulate the basic things we need. For instance only this week we have bought a water dispenser - for the last year we have been buying our water in bottles - what a waste of time/plastic and energy - now I just have to stop the 2 year old endlessly pouring water out of her new toy!

    ReplyDelete