Monday 21 May 2012

All my first tasks, summer reading lists and primary curriculum revision notes have all arrived with an official welcome to the PGCE course. OMG!!!! I like the first part which is a reading list of children's books. I can get my head around that. I've just returned some books to the library and picked up some books by the recommended authors. I've got The Troll by Julia Donaldson and David Roberts, Watch Out! Big Bro's Coming! by Jez Alborough. Here Comes The Poo Bus by Andy Stanton, which was my own choice. I think it'll go down well with my own children but may not be quite so suitable for the classroom setting. Kids do love poo though, and any toilet humour. I think it's their way of getting comfortable talking about the more taboo bodily functions and aspects of life. One of our family favourites is The Story of The Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business. It's a book about a mole who pops his head out of his mole hole, and is promptly pooed upon. He then sets off on a mission to find out who pooed on him.
I fear the other books on my reading list will be a little less humorous and harder to digest. On the plus side, having 2 children at primary school in different year groups gives me good access to the curriculum. I can try all my sons maths homework from now on, which should ensure I can pass the maths skills test. My English is not bad, and my son's science has helped me refresh my knowledge of plant propagation and the properties of solids, liquids and gases etc.
I don't know yet where my school placements will be, and I haven't got my timetable for the days I am at the university. I have my first day's schedule which doesn't seem too challenging. I will be more worried about traffic and getting there on time and parking somewhere.
I have applied to undertake my 2 week observation at my children's school where I volunteer. I need to do that before the course officially starts. The observation is structured. I have to analyse absolutely everything and present my findings and reflections. There are loads of points I am being asked to consider, and lots of those refer to PE and ICT. These are two areas that I know very little about. I'm going to ask at school this week if I can join PE and computers for a few weeks now so that I can get an idea of what goes on.
Right, gutted we didn't go to Exeter yesterday, it looks like it was a fantastic day for all who cheered on the torch bearers. Never mind, we will have to catch up wtth it in Lyme on the 12th July. The weather today is glorious but sadly there is a heap of clothes upstairs and a pile of hangers with my name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment