Monday 28 May 2012

My white dog Milly, decided today to eat all the stamens from the lilies I threw out with the garden rubbish. She looks like she's been smoking for years with yellow stains all around her chops. What on earth would possess a dog to eat that disgusting pollen? It's bad enough when they start to wilt in the house and fall on the mantle, now its all over the garden and the dog. The other major incident for the day was the text message I received from my husband at around lunchtime, which read "Train derailed!!!!!!!!!!" It's not quite as dramatic as you might think, he is the train driver, amongst other responsibilities at a botanical gardens. It's a pootling sight seeing train, that runs on diesel. Although the summer engine is pretty big and powerful and carries around 130 passengers so I replied F***, was anyone hurt and are you OK? I got one reply which said that he thought he was OK and that one woman had been taken in an ambulance. I didn't hear anything after that for over 2 hours. I was starting to get really worried but eventually he got back to me, and told me that just one carriage had jumped out of the rails, and that a lady had bumped her head. It did make me think though, that it could have been a lot worse. I know it's only a piddly little train but still, it is quite a responsibility. Most of the passengers are either children or babies or the elderly!
The secondary school visit to Axe Valley was quite a success this morning. My son liked the place and was impressed at the facilities. They are supposed to be regarded as quite good, although I have to say my old school was better, and that was quite a few years ago now and it's been totally modernised since I was there. The headmaster was a bit 'teacherly' but nice, and informative. The layout was higgledy piggledy but a mix of old and new, with quite a lot of character and nice outside areas to eat in and sit. It felt quite small and underwhelming which is probably a good thing from a child's point of view. We stood in the doorway of a science lesson, which seemed dynamic and quite exciting. The class sizes at GCSE stage are small, around 22 pupils in each class which I liked. The learning support area was really nice, and quite extensive and the SEN coordinator is a man which is good for my son, as he responds much better to male teachers. They have a programme for dyslexics called Lexia which I will have to look up, and a really good reading programme to keep on top of reluctant readers. I looked at the website again this afternoon and browsed the options booklet for year 9 which had some alternative learning options it it. That was really interesting and included vocational courses with a day a week work experience and a day at Bicton college. I think my son could do a lot worse, but I shall reserve judgement until we view the other school in Lyme. I'm not sure my daughter would like it there. It's early days for her though. She is only 6 still thank heavens!
The dentists was OK, except I need another filling. Bum! I didn't have any fillings until I had my children. Then my whole body just started to fall apart. Eyesight, hair, teeth, skin, it's all gone to rack and ruin.
Hubby is out fishing tonight. The TV hasn't been on all day, I am enjoying the peace but I may have to shatter it with the Eastenders 10pm showing. I am quite a saddo still when it comes to Corrie and EE. I don't watch them avidly but I do like to follow whats going on. As for today's world news, I haven't a clue. There could have been a huge earthquake somewhere and I wouldn't know a thing about it!
Gorgeous day in Seaton today.

No comments:

Post a Comment