Tuesday 29 May 2012

My poor son is not having much luck at the moment. There was a note in his bag telling me he was beaten up today by a year 6 boy who has been punished, and that he was completely innocent. He didn't want to talk about it but a friends child concurs, he was innocent, and very upset. We went swimming at Pinewood after school, which is a holiday park nearby with a lovely pool. The outdoor pools have just opened and it was truly lovely. I hope that has helped him unwind.
I dropped off the kiddies on our return and left my husband to feed them, while I did a supermarket run. Whilst out, my Mum phoned but my husband was varnishing the picnic table so I didn't really get the full gist of the story. She apparently has a bad foot or knee, and one of her neighbours has died. I did return her call but, unsurprisingly the line was engaged, so I will have to call tomorrow to find out what's going on.
Tomorrow is parent involvement morning in my daughters class. We shall be gluing and cutting out, and making a crown for the Jubilee celebrations. I have loved listening to them both singing 'Any Old Iron' around the house; it takes me back to my own junior school days. We used to sing all the old tunes like 'Daisy Daisy' and 'My Old Man, Said Follow The Van' etc etc I am finding it very frustrating, my junior school memories are getting more vague as the years pass, and I loved my time at junior school so much. My school was brilliant. It was a smallish catholic school and I wasn't a catholic, but I was never made to feel like a heathen. I didn't do Holy Communion but I was quite a believer as a child. I said my prayers and wanted to make the world a better place. I wanted to be a good Samaritan, and I felt that I could make a difference. I think that was the start of a good outlook in life, and I am so grateful for that. I had one teacher, Mrs Lang, who was a real inspiration. When we entered her classroom, we entered her world. She was always magnificently dressed, she played the piano and did calligraphy and wrote beautifully. She was very strict, but she believed in teaching us that the world is a magnificent place, full of wonder and opportunity. Her education focused on the wonderful English language, which she clearly adored and felt should be mastered to be used with great skill. I think she was so right! She spoke beautifully, and with an amazing vocabulary which she didn't limit due to our age or comprehension. She used fabulous words and told us what they meant. When we practiced handwriting, we reproduced the lines from wonderful poems life Daffodils. We were being exposed to amazing things and learning about them, without even realising it! She is my role model. Her style and immersion in her work and devotion to it and passion for it are rare in teaching.
Woops, I went off on one then lol! On a more depressing note, I saw the news today and it was pretty grim. That family of 6 children that died in a house fire and their parents have been arrested. That poor old lady of 93 I think she was, who was dreadfully beaten in her own home and has died today of a heart attack. Finally Bob Dylan and Barrack Obama, not sure why Bob has the freedom of somewhere in America, but he does! I was still reeling from the terrible news at the beginning of the programme to fully pay attention to Bob and Barrack...........

No comments:

Post a Comment