Thursday 26 April 2012

The seafront at high tide last night was chaos. The wind and waves hammered the shore line causing complete mayhem and destruction. There is a clean up operation this morning but the weather and sea conditions are still so bad I can only imagine there will be more of the same tonight. The wind is so cold and strong it stings your skin and gives you instant earache. It is amazingly refreshing and raw though and so elemental. Just a walk along the front gets your adrenalin going on a day like today.

Among my jobs today is a school project for my son. I know it is his job, but the whole task is way beyond his capabilities. If he is going to present a time line for example, I will have to create the time line's structure and then get him to help fill in the information. Of course I will also have to provide him with the facts, he will then rearrange them and word them but I still have to basically do ALL the work first. It just doesn't seem right or like a productive use of anyone's time. There is so much he needs to learn in terms of the basics.

At least the projects subject is one that interests him. He is studying the Axe Estuary Wetlands which are situated literally five minutes walk from our house. These nearby marshes are a mecca for birdwatchers. Are they known as twitchers? I can't believe what a geek I have become in my old age. My son has signed up for a junior rangers club each week and has been pond dipping and making sculptures out of swamp clay and reeds. He does love it which is very rewarding for me. I feel so blessed that my son has such a lovely nature. I don't know where he got it from but it was there from birth. He had a look in his eyes from the very beginning. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, his soul has a rich past. It pains me to see him struggling at school with his reading and writing so much. He has such a practical mind and can solve really complex problems like flat pack (complex to me) or wiring up a new TV to work with the Sky box, external hard drive, media centre thingy and PlayStation. When it comes to language, he just can't see how it all fits together. It's so frustrating for everyone but obviously mainly for him, and it chips away at his confidence daily. Thank goodness he is good at so many other things, and that he has friends to laugh and play with and a little sister to annoy the hell out of him, but that worships the ground he walks on too. And us of course, to love each and every inch of him (there seems to be more each day, he grows so fast!).

No comments:

Post a Comment