Sunday 29 April 2012

I think the nation is well and truly fed up with the rain, I don't want to talk about it anymore. Suffice to say there are some days when I think life in France was better than it is here! We lived in the south west of France on the Spanish border for almost eight years and returned to England in October 2010. Neither place is actually better. Daily life in both has it's good and bad, and anywhere is what you make of it. Differences in language and culture had a changing affect on us over time and we grew to miss the familiarity of the UK and the relative ease of communicating. I did detest the school and the attitude towards education that we personally had to deal with there,  my son is ten times happier in school in the UK and my daughter is thriving,  but who can say what might have happened if we had stayed? I could never have pursued a career in teaching if we had stayed so I am glad for that reason to be back home.
We love it here, I don't think you can still call it the honeymoon period, we don't have rose tinted specs about being back in blighty. We just feel comfortable and a little more grateful for the simple things in life. The return has been a real test financially and we are not quite out of the woods yet. We still haven't sold the house in France and my husband has struggled with work. Thankfully he hasn't spent any time really out of work, but he hasn't found something yet that earns enough money, and has the right challenges and prospects. Just having work in the current economic climate is amazing though, especially as a 'grockel' in Devon.
Changing the subject, we actually watched a film last night. It was called The Martins with Lee Evans and Kathy Burke. It was one of those films that I like, just about ordinary people like a Mike Leigh film. It didn't rate very highly on the internet movie database, I think it got 4.9 which is pretty rubbish. Well I thought it was alright. The main character was a bit shallow to start with but as it continued it made me reflect on all sorts of things, and that's what I like about those kind of films.

1 comment:

  1. Some people have tried to post comments and say it doesn't work so I am trying myself. I would love to hear your comments if you have the time and I can get this glitch ironed out!

    ReplyDelete